Fernando Alfonso III
Facebook has worked with the FBI to take down 10 Facebook hackers responsible for stealing $850 million over the last two years.
The hackers from Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Macedonia, New Zealand, Peru, the United Kingdom, and the U.S. were responsible for “more than 11 million compromised computer systems and over $850 million in losses via the Butterfly Botnet, which steals computer users’ credit card, bank account, and other personal identifiable information,” the FBI said in a statement.
The extensive investigation involved Department of Justice’s Computer Crime and Intellectual Property Section and FBI field offices in 24 different U.S. cities.
“The FBI did not elaborate on how it arrived at its $850 million theft figure, but that haul easily dwarfs the Eurograbber, which was revealed last week to have stolen about $47 million from European banking customers in the past year,” CNET reported. “The Yahos spoils also surpass the take by the Zeus botnet crime ring, which infected an estimated 13 million computers with malware to steal more than $100 million.”
On Oct. 6, an Anonymous hacker allegedly responsible for causing $5.6 million in damages to eBay-owned online payment service PayPal was convicted in London’s Southwark Crown Court. Christopher Weatherhead, 22, was convicted on one count of conspiracy to impair the operation of computers. The ruling is in connection to a 10-day hack on PayPal “after the backlash against Julian Assange and WikiLeaks following their release of classified data in December 2010,” the Guardian reported.
Sites That Link to this Post
- Criminals Targeting Holiday Shoppers With Dexter Malware : Virtual Threat | December 14, 2012
- Facebook Mobile Camera App Allows Hackers To Hijack Accounts : Virtual Threat | December 29, 2012
- Evade Government Surveillance Stay Anonymous Online : Virtual Threat | February 6, 2013
- 3 Ways Facebook Hackers Target Your Account : Virtual Threat | February 6, 2013
- 5 Mandatory Steps For Protecting Data From Eavesdroppers : Virtual Threat | March 6, 2013
- Latest Facebook Hacking Attack Investigated By FBI : Virtual Threat | March 7, 2013
- Protecting Data from Eavesdroppers | Informed Citizens Watch | March 9, 2013